This quick and easy bean soup recipe will fill you up when you are sitting around the camp fire, a long way from home on your trip around Oz. It goes great with some fresh damper!
Of course, if you’re travelling with the warm weather, you may not often think of soup as a quick dinner. But this soup is a delicious meal no matter what the season. I just wouldn’t eat it for lunch on a 40 degree day in Kunnanurra!
Get your damper on first, so that it will all be ready together.
1. In a large pot, fry onion and garlic in a little olive oil for a minute until soft (if using).
2. Add tomatoes, beans (including liquid) and water/stock.
3. Add oregano, meat and veges (if using).
4. Stir over a medium heat until it reaches the boil. Then, add risoni and extra water if using.
5. Turn heat to low and simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
6. Add cous cous if using, and allow to rest for 2 minutes before serving.
Serve with damper.
They're also great because you can carry them dried, which saves even more room and weight. They can be used for so many different meals and flavours.
Of course, you could just buy a few tins of pre-made soup. The reason I like this bean soup recipe is that you can keep your options open. You never know what you might use the beans for. You are more limited when you buy food that is a single-purpose meal.
Plus it's hardly any more effort!
Trip around Oz
Camping food ideas
Recipes for remote camping
Bean soup recipe