Submitted by Barbara from Lismore, NSW.
1 cup lemonade (- less than a can.)
1 carton (1 cup) longlife cream
3 cups self raising flour
- Put flour into bowl. Add cream and mix with fork. Add enough lemonade to make soft dough.
- Use fork or knife to mix.
- Pat together onto floured surface.
- Cut into squares / rounds or whatever shape.
The essence is to handle the dough as little as possible and cook immediately.
There are two ways of cooking.
Note from Jill: Thanks Barbara for this scone recipe, it's a nice slant on basic scones...and I've heard that it makes them lovely and light and airy!
- Like damper in an oven.
- On stove top on a thick bottom cast iron pan/griddle. You need a hot pan. Flatten scones slightly. This way needs more watching and regular turning to avoid burning.
With the first cooking method:
For those without a conventional oven when camping(me!), you could try cooking these in your camp oven on the fire, especially since scones love the high heat that you get from an open fire.